Thursday, January 14, 2010

Brussels Sprouts and Baked potato soup

The other night I broke down and finally cooked some Brussels Sprouts. I got this reaction from Jordan, "This is Soooo Good!" That was sarcastic of course. The reaction I got from Shelby was, "This stinks!" Then she didn't eat any of them. I thought they looked good and I thought they tasted okay but they hadn't been touched since then. Here is a picture of them.
The recipe I used was really simple. I just melted some butter and added garlic then I put the sprouts in with cut side down and added some pine nuts and salt and pepper. Today I was reading a recipe that blended up the sprouts and put them in baked potato soup. I have a great recipe from one of my old roommates, Kristina, so I decided to break it out. We used to call this soup Heart attack soup. I'm afraid we can't call it that anymore.

Here is the recipe:
3 baked potatoes
1 pound of Bacon
1/2 cup of butter
1/2 flour
3 cups of 1/2 and 1/2
1 cup of milk
1 Tb. Chicken bullion (not cubed)
1/2-1 cup shredded cheese
1 small onion
1 cup of sour cream

Instructions:
Bake potatoes at 350 degrees for 1 hour, allow to cool. Cook bacon and crumble. Saute onions in butter. Add flour bring to boil. Gradually add 1/2 and 1/2, milk, and bullion. Stir until thickened, add cheese and sour cream, cut potatoes in bit size pieces and add to pot. Add bacon and potatoes, add salt and pepper to taste. Cook on stove until thoroughly combined.

This serves 6 people.

Now for the picture of it. I know it looks gross in the picture but that's just because I can't take good pictures.Okay, the variation is: I didn't put sour cream in it (because I didn't have any), I didn't put 1/2 and 1/2 (once again because I didn't have any), I only put in 2 TB. of butter. Instead I put a can of evaporated milk, the brussels sprouts puree, and more milk.

I think it tasted great. According to Jordan he could still taste the brussels sprouts. I was so excited about how it tasted I had to run right next door and have my neighbor taste it. She also got Bountiful Baskets so she and her family had to endure eating the sprouts. She said that she couldn't taste the brussels sprouts so I think I will have to blend some up and freeze them for the next time I have a soup to hide them in. Anyway, this post is for her. She asked for the recipe.

Anyway, if you're wondering about my eat from your pantry challenge you will just have to wait a little longer. Just know that I am still under budget but getting worried. I'm keeping a log of all of my grocery purchases. Using coupons really helps. If anyone is contimplating using them, I say go for it, you have nothing to lose!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a clever way to hide the sprouts. I might have to try your recipe :)

I can't wait for your update!!

Andrea said...

Way to use them.

The whole spending less on food this month didn't work out for me. I was running low on pantry items and needed to stock up at a case lot sale. But, you did inspire me to get a menu made (I'm not sure that you talked about a menu, but your post kind of led to it), and it's made for a lot less stress in figuring out what to cook.

Bernie said...

I love having meals all figured out. It makes life so much easier. I'm glad that I could help! As far as the case lot sale, Andrea, I totally understand. I have to stock up from time to time. In fact, it's almost time.

RPH said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe. I cant wait to make it...it was delicious!!

Jenni said...

I learned how to make Brussels Sprouts from my sister and Jared and I love them. Here's how I do it. Boil the sprouts for about 8-10 minutes or until tender. Take them out of the water and quarter them. Saute them in olive oil until they start to brown. Then add some pine nuts and saute for a few more minutes. Sprinkle on some Vegetable Supreme (available in the spice aisle at the grocery store) and, if you want, some Parmesan cheese. Very tasty!

Bernie said...

Thank Jennie! I'm afraid Jordan will never try them again. I think it's sad, I like them. Anyway, I guess all the Brussels sprouts will be eaten by me in our family.

Bernie said...

I can't believe I just put an e on the end of your name, Jenni, sorry!

RPH said...

I went to lunch yesterday with a friend and we ate at Great Harvest. I tried their potato soup.

Yours is SO MUCH BETTER! Their soup was ok, but I wouldnt get it again. Yours put theirs to shame.